Family Based Immigration

Anaheim Family-Based Immigration Attorney

Communicative and Compassionate Legal Representation

Are you interested in coming to the U.S. to join your family? Do you have relatives overseas and wish to bring them to the United States? Family immigration allows eligible loved ones to reunify and become lawful permanent residents. However, the legal procedures involved can quickly become confusing and overwhelming. 

At The Law Offices of Fady Eskandar, we work to make the family sponsorship process as simple and straightforward as possible. Our family-based immigration lawyer can help you explore your options and provide dedicated guidance every step of the way. Our team capably handles family sponsorship cases from start to finish, from the initial visa petition filing to consular processing. We recognize the importance of your family’s reunification, as our founder is an immigrant himself. No matter your family’s circumstances, we will do everything we can to facilitate a successful outcome.

Call (714) 909-2127 to schedule an initial consultation. We offer flexible payment plans.

Who Is Eligible for Family Immigration?

Only existing U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can sponsor certain types of relatives for green cards. Lawful permanent residents can only sponsor their spouses and children, while citizens can also sponsor their parents and siblings. 

There are two categories of family petitions: “Immediate relative” petitions and “family preference relative” petitions. Immediate relative applicants receive priority in the U.S. immigration system and will move through the process faster.

Immediate relatives include:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried children of U.S. citizens under the age of 21
  • Parents of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old

Family preference relatives include:

  • Unmarried children of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old
  • Spouses of lawful permanent residents
  • Children of lawful permanent residents (any age)
  • Married children of U.S. citizens
  • Siblings of U.S. citizens

Fiancés of U.S. citizens and their children with U.S. citizens can come to the U.S. through K-1 and K-2 visas, respectively. Widow(er)s of U.S. citizens may also self-petition become lawful permanent residents.

An unlimited number of green cards are available to immediate relative applicants, but family preference relative categories are subject to annual caps under the law. Family preference relative applicants must wait for a visa to become available, and this wait may last for several years or more. 

Our Anaheim family-based immigration attorney can assess you or your loved one’s circumstances, walk you through what you should expect, and estimate the extent of the wait. Our team can also assist you with appeals if your petition is denied or revoked.

Adjustments of Status versus Consular Processing

After your or your loved one’s petition has been approved and a visa is available, you can begin the process of changing your immigration status and obtaining a green card. If you are already in the United States, you will request an “adjustment of status.” If you are abroad, you will complete “consular processing” at your home country’s U.S. embassy or consular office. Our team at The Law Offices of Fady Eskandar has a thorough understanding of these immigration procedures and can help you take all necessary steps.

Successfully completing either process will result in your receiving a green card, which makes you a lawful permanent resident. You will be able to live anywhere in the United States, and you will be able to work most types of jobs. You may also be able to apply for citizenship after several years of continuous and physical presence.

How to Remove Conditions from a Marriage-Based Green Card

If you obtain a green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen, you will get a conditional visa if the marriage is less than two years old. A conditional green card is only valid for two years, and you will face significant immigration consequences if you do not remove conditions. You and your spouse must submit another petition to USCIS in a narrow, 90-day window before the visa expires. Expect another in-person interview with a USCIS officer, who will evaluate the legitimacy of your marriage. If they are satisfied, you will receive a non-conditional green card that is valid for ten years. 

Our Anaheim family-based immigration lawyer understands how USCIS scrutinizes new marriages. We can help you remove conditions and protect your future in the United States. 

If you are ready to sponsor a loved one for a green card or have a family member willing to sponsor you, do not wait to call (714) 909-2127 or contact us online.